Weekly Update

It’s hard to believe that we have two weeks left until spring break!  January and February have flown by!  I thought I’d give you a quick snapshot of what we have been up to lately!

Math – we are working on fractions with a focus on equivalent fractions.  Next week we will begin Math centers and then move into ordering and comparing fractions.

Language Arts – we have been working in our grammar booklets, learning how to research, take jot notes and write effective non-fiction paragraphs.  In Reading we have been working on our novel study, City of Ember.

Social Studies – we are working on a Regions of Canada projects.  Students should be wrapping these up in the next week.  We also did two current event articles – one on ‘fast fashion’ and the other on ‘pink shirt day’.

Science – we are in the middle of a unit on Force and Motion.  This week we learned about kinetic and potential energy and next week we move into simple machines.

P.E. – badminton – so fun!

Health/Bible- we have started a unit on Lent.

Here are a few other things for you…

Lent:  In Bible and devotion time we have started learning about Lent, which is the 40 days before Easter.  During this season we take time to reflect on the great sacrifice that Jesus made for us by dying on the cross.  This time is traditionally a season of repentance and self-denial.   In our church, Central Community Church, each of the six weeks before Lent we give up something that is important to us – one week is music, another is sweets, social media etc.  In class we talked about how giving this up is a SACRIFICE – it’s something we don’t want to give up – but doing this reminds us of the ultimate sacrifice that was made for us!  How much greater was the sacrifice Jesus made than us giving up listening to music for a week!  I have encouraged students to think about something they could give up for Lent.  It could be a different thing each week or something they give up until Easter time.  As this will likely filter into your home, I would encourage you to talk with your child about Lent and discuss as a family if and how your child can participate.  For each week of Lent we will be studying a different theme and looking at ways we can be more thoughtful of others and reflect on the sacrifice Jesus made for us.

Pancake Breakfast:  On Friday, March 13th our department will be having a pancake breakfast.  This year we will be cooking pancakes in the school kitchen and our entire department will gather in the gym for breakfast.  We will begin serving at 8:00 and ask that students arrive no later than 8:30 so we can be wrapped up and heading back to class by 9:00.  We would a few parent volunteers from each class to help us with the cooking, serving and clean up.  If you are available, please send me an email at pgoosen@highraodacademy.com.

Art Gala:  Just a note that we will be making a change to our Art Gala this year.  We will be taking out the talent show portion and moving it to our June assembly.  This gives us more time to showcase students who would like to participate in the talent show.

Green Games:  I am submitting our project tomorrow and am so hopeful that we will win!  I need the BC Green Games photo permission form back ASAP.  If you need another one then please let me know.

Missions Trip & Class Store:  Thank you for sending in donations for the missions team and the class store!  I appreciate it!

Upcoming Events:

Friday, March 13th Intermediate Department Pancake Breakfast

March 16 – 27th – Spring Break

Monday, March 30th – School reopens after spring break

Friday, April 10th – Good Friday

Monday, April 13th – Easter Monday

Thursday, April 23rd – Art Gala