First Week of School

Week one is in the books!  It was sooooo lovely to meet this class of amazing students.  I am very excited to spend the year teaching them and learning together!

Each week I will send a blog update (usually Fridays or Saturdays) and you’ll notice that they will follow a very similar format.  I will often give you a snapshot of what we’ve been up to, let you know of any announcements or upcoming events, add a calendar of the month and I will try my best to add photos for you to enjoy.

Here’s a snapshot of what we did this week:

• spent some time getting to know each other through a fun activity using toilet paper
  • attempted to build a tall tower with minimal materials
  • discussed our one class rule (respect) and how it can be applied to our classroom
  • applied for and received their first classroom job
  • focused our morning devotions on giving our worries and anxieties to God
  • used candies to demonstrate our Math learning
  • made some art to beautify our classroom

A Few Announcements & Things Coming Up:

Chromebook Acceptable Use:  The IT department is asking each family to fill out an acceptable use policy for the chromebooks we use in our classroom. Please fill this out as soon as possible.  http://link.highroadacademy.com/chromebook/

Individual Photos on Tuesday:  Tuesday morning our students will be getting individual photos taken.  They are scheduled after recess but before PE.

Reading Challenge:  We have started a ‘reading challenge’ in our classroom.  I have challenged the students to a game of ‘beat the teacher’.  Students have until October 10th to read as many chapter books as possible.  For this first challenge I have allowed students to read graphic novels and any chapter books of their choosing.  On October 10th we will reveal how many books we have completed, and any student who has read more books than I have will win a slurpee!  If your child completes a book at home, please put a quick note in their planner or on a piece of paper to verify it’s been read.  I am asking students a question about the book to ensure they’ve read it – you are welcome to do the same!

Class Economy Treats:  We are starting to collect treats for our classroom store.  I have a couple of items purchased but the store is mainly stocked by families.  As Halloween treats are out right now, a box of some treat would be very appreciated.  Many students go through their toys and find things they don’t use anymore – those make great store items (books, stickers, small stuffies, craft items etc.). Any donations will be greatly appreciated.

September Calendar

Tuesday, Sept 13th – School photos

Friday, Sept 16th – Knight’s Day

Monday, Sept 19th – Parent Welcome Night

Friday, Sept 23rd – Knight’s Day

Thursday, Sept 29th – Orange Shirt Day

Friday, Sept 30th – Truth and Reconciliation Day (no school)

First Week Video…enjoy!

The first day of school we talked about first day of school worries or anxieties.  Our verse for the day of Joshua 1:9, “Have I not commanded you?  Be strong and courageous.  Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”  We then wrote down things we may be worried about on a piece of paper, prayed over our worries, ripped them up and put them into a jar.  We then each took some ‘worry confetti’ and tossed it into the year, claiming a ‘happy school year’.

Photos of our first week!

1 Comment on First Week of School

1. Jake
    September 10, 2022 at 9:45 am (2 years ago)

Thanks for the be update and photos!

Reply