January 2013 archive

Amazing Cell Rap

This week we began our new Science unit on the Diversity of Life.  We have started looking at the cell and will delve into that more next week – looking at both the plant and animal cell.  I found this great Cell Rap that the students asked me to post on the blog…enjoy!

The BEST cell rap

January Dates

Welcome back!  We have lots of things coming up this month so I have a list of dates for you to be aware of.

January Dates:

Jan 15th – Skating

January 29th – Math Mania (6:30 – 8:00pm)

January 29 – Feb 1 – Scholastic Book Fair

January 31st – Ski Trip

Skating:  students can wear play clothes all day.  The bus will be leaving at 10:15 and our skate time is from 10:45 – 11:45. Helmets are mandatory and it is our expectation that all students will skate during this time.  Parents are welcome to join us skating and can meet us at Twin Rinks.

Math Mania:  this is a fun evening put on by UFV students to help create a love of Math and foster time spent together with parent and child.  This evening is open to all students in grades 3 – 6.  Students and parents will rotate through 25 exciting Math centers during this evening…and also enjoy a snack!  Hope to see you there!

Ski Trip Information

Dear Parents,
Just a reminder that the payment phase of the ski registration is this Wednesday and Thursday, Jan. 9th & 10th. It will be in the school lobby from 3:10-4:00 pm. Please bring the waiver form signed on both sides. Just one form per family, but all parents and children attending need to legibly sign it. (I need to be able to read it. Thank you!) Payment will be made at the registration tables (not at the office). Payment may be made by cash or cheque; or by debit or student reserve accounts.
If you have not yet registered online, please do so immediately! You will not be able to register at the payment lines. The online registration is on Mrs. Couse’s blog in the top right-hand corner.
Parents who are going along need to have filled in a criminal records check and those who are driving must bring your drivers license and $2 million liability insurance to the school office so they can make a copy of it. Please do so either Monday or Tuesday.
Thanks!

Spelling List & Collection Reminder

I hope you are all enjoying the last weekend before we head back to school!  I wanted to remind you about the collection that is to be brought to school on Monday – about 20 items from any type of collection…shells, sports cards, buttons, lids, just about anything.

Here is the new spelling list for next week.  Test will be given on Friday.

commence

crucial

recent

severe

entitle

familiar

impossible

amuse

accompany

genuine

electrical

straight

political

racial

universal

speech

circular

argue

real

worship

Calling All Collections!

I hope this blog post finds you all doing well and enjoying your Christmas holiday!  We have had a relaxing first week off and have enjoyed spending time together as a family!  I know that school is still a week away but I wanted to give you a few days to help your child come up with some sort of a collection to bring to school on Monday.  This could be anything from buttons, sports cards, jewelry, coins, photos, stamps, lids…anything really.  They will need to bring approximately 20 – 25 items in their collection.  I will send out a reminder on the weekend when I post the week’s spelling list.

Thanks and enjoy the last week of Christmas break!
Mrs. Goosen

1 2