February 2016 archive

Happy Valentine’s Day!

This Thursday the students will be able to hand out Valentines cards to their classmates.  If students are handing out cards, we ask that they make a card for each person in the class.

Below I have a list of all the studen’ts names:

Kaden, Noah, Isabella, Stanley, Luke, Quinn, Cadence, Macayla, Samantha, Blaine, Nathanael, Keegan, Grace, Charlie, Matthias, Minjae, Jaedyn, Claire, Sun a, Seojin, Annie, Mahalia, Jacob

Thank you!

Derksen Family Announcement

Hi Everyone,

As you may have already heard from your child, our family has started the process of sponsoring a refugee family.  We are excited and terrified, but have no doubt that this is what God is wanting us to do at this time.  The grade 5 class has been very encouraging and supportive as I have shared parts of our story so I thought that I would fill you in as well.

We have partnered with two other local families and the non-profit organization, MCC.  MCC (Mennonite Central Committee) helps in navigating the government paperwork, matching us with a family, helping us know how to prepare for the family, and opening up a trust account so that we can take donations that are tax-deductible.  Our FIRST STEP is raising $35 000.  We need to have ALL of the funds in place before MCC can bring the family to Chilliwack.  After the money has been raised, they will organize the travel plans and once the family arrives, WE are the ones that are responsible for supporting the refugee family for THEIR FIRST YEAR.  We need to have housing in place, cultural/language support, education, and all of the daily needs met to help the family adjust to their new home and community.

We recently started the fundraising portion and we are having our first official fundraiser on Saturday, Feb 20.  I realize that this is not a ‘Highroad’ event but I’ve had a couple of parents ask questions so I thought I would extended the invite to our classroom community.  We will be having a dessert fundraiser, featuring Christian singer/songwriter Ryan McAllister, and a silent auction.  If the grown-ups in your family would like to join us for this event, please e-mail me and I’ll be sure to save a seat for you.  (Details are at the bottom of this post.)

The students have also asked how they can help raise funds as a class.  Since this is not a Highroad event, I need to be careful not to ‘step on any toes’ so anything we do would need to be done outside of school.  If you have any ideas or ways to help organize a fundraiser that our grade 5 students could take part in, please let me know.  I’d love to organize something with your support.

Thank so much for your support, both in the classroom and in our personal lives.  Pam and I are so blessed to have such an incredible, supportive parent community.

Dessert Fundraiser Details:

Date:  Saturday, February 20th at 7pm

Place:  Central Community Church

Tickets are $10 each and payable at the door.  We just need an RSVP ahead of time to reserve a spot for you.

Silent auction items include…4 night stay on Kootenay Lake, Canucks Tickets, Outdoor Movie Screen Rental, Capturing You photography session, and so much more.  Silent auction items can be paid for by cash, cheque, or credit card.

Please RSVP to me at mderksen@highroadacademy.com in the next week.  Thanks!!  Melanie Derksen

Click on the link if you would like to be forwarded to Our Refugee Family Financial Support Link.

Class Party on Wednesday

The students are very excited that they have earned a class party!  Just before Christma the class finished the novel Holes and for our class party will be watching the Disney movie of this novel.  Please feel free to send along a snack to share.

1 2