What’s Going on This Week in Grade 6? A LOT!!

I can hardly believe it’s the first week of May. Time is flying by and there is a LOT going on in the next several weeks. At the end of this blog post I will put a list of days to add to your calendar.
The students this week are getting their fill of yours truly, Mrs. Derksen. 🙂 Mrs. Goosen is spending some lovely family time in the ‘Happiest Place on Earth’, though I would argue with Walt Disney and say that Highroad’s Grade 6 Class is the happiest place on earth! At least it’s one of my happy places.

Today the students started their final non-fiction writing project. They are working with partners to research and examine a part of Japanese Culture. In a few weeks, they will present their findings to the class. They picked such interesting and varied topics – sumo wrestling, origami, Japan’s role in WWII, Martial Arts, the Feudal System, Agriculture & Fishing, Traditional Drama & Clothing, and the Economy. I can hardly wait to hear about what they’ve learned!

GIFT WRAP NEEDED: Please send a gift bag, tissue paper, &/or gift wrap with your student on Friday so that they can wrap their mother’s day gifts. It needs to be large enough to fit an item that is 12″ x 12″ x 1″. I think you’re going to like it!!!
HOT LUNCH: Tomorrow there is the hot dog and french fry lunch. If students did not pre-order, they can still purchase lunch (hot dog $2, fries $3) but they will have to stand in line.
TRACK AND FIELD CLUB: Tuesday and Thursday practices continue each week as we countdown to the track meet. If you haven’t returned your child’s permission slip for the track meet, please do so asap. I will be running the shot put event at the track meet and am still looking for one more volunteer to help me. If your son/daughter is in the shot put event, this would be a GREAT opportunity for you to see them compete, up close and personal. Please contact me, Mrs. Derksen, if you are interested.
AFTER SCHOOL PICK-UP: Just a reminder that the students are only supervised until 3:30pm each school day. If you pick up your children after 3:30pm, they will not be supervised by Highroad staff. If they are causing any problems around the school, they will need to sit by the office until you arrive.
SPELLING: no Spelling this week. Don’t be too disappointed! It’ll be back next week. 😉

UPCOMING DATES FOR YOUR CALENDAR:
Tuesday, May 13th: Knights Day to celebrate the Track Team.
Monday, May 19th: Victoria Day- no school
Monday, May 26th: Spring Sing Concert 7pm ALL GRADE 6 STUDENTS REQUIRED TO ATTEND.
Tuesday, May 27th: Track Meet @ Swanguard Stadium in Burnaby – for Track and Field Club Participants only.
Friday, May 30th: 1st Annual Art Gallery for Grade 4-6 Students and their families. 6:30-8:00pm More details to follow, but you won’t want to miss it.
Friday, June 13th: Intermediate Fun Day. Noon Dismissal.
Monday, June 16th: Intermediate Classes @ Cultus Lake Waterslides. (Pray for SUN!)
Wednesday, June 18th: Noon Dismissal.
Friday, June 20th: Last Day of School. Noon Dismissal