Weekly Update

I hope you are all enjoying this beautiful Sunday afternoon!  It is nice to see the sun finally come out!  I am definitely looking forward to the nicer weather this week!  We had a great week in the Grade 5 classroom!  Here’s a rundown of what we did this week.

Math:  continued working on place value – specifically showing numbers up to one million in written, expanded and picture form.  We have been identifying the place and value of digits in large numbers and next week will work at ordering, comparing and rounding numbers.

Language Arts:  We are continuing to work on reading comprehension strategies and are using mentor texts (picture books) to study strong sentences.  We will be using mentor texts throughout the year to learn grammar, strong sentence structure and then building our own  sentences based on the ones we are studying.  Next week we will be working on our first writing unit, personal narrative writing.

Science:  We are finishing up our mini unit on Growth Mindset and beginning to look at BC’s natural resources.  We will be spending time in the garden and learning about sustainable agriculture practices.

Social Studies:  We looked at Canada’s newest Geoparks and started a mapping activity to go with this.  Students filled in a map of Canada and will soon be starting a unit on government.

Bible:  We have started a unit on Our Identity in Christ.  We started talking about what makes us unique.  Our next lesson will look at verses in the Bible to determine  who Christ says we are.

Some other information for you…

Class Economy:  Thank you so much for the class economy donations!  The kids had a very fun time on Friday – paying their rent, collecting their salaries and then listening to a ‘teacher/mom lecture’ on the realities of life – we can’t now spend all of our money at the store.  We have to save for big items (real life), save for unforeseen circumstances (forgetting to do our homework) etc.  They had LOTS of fun shopping and spending ‘some’ of the money in their wallets.

Chapel:  This Wednesday we had our first ‘chapel’ in the classrooms.  I decided to show the class the amazing Kids Church video that City Life has put together.  The theme that is being worked through is The Fruit of the Spirit – and this week it was focusing on peace – letting go of our worries and anxieties.  In this crazy time we are living in, I thought it was the PERFECT lesson for the class.  They really enjoyed it too!

Bible Memory Verse:  In the Bible Memory tab I have the first two Bible Memory Verses that we will be working on.  I will photocopy these and hand them out to the students so they can bring them home to study.  We will say or write our BMV’s on Friday.  The verse below is due on Friday, October 2nd.

Memory verse- Psalm 100:2   Worship the Lord with gladness; come before him with joyful songs.

Candy:  I would like to ask that students not bring candy to school as the added sugar is not conducive to learning. I do occasionally give out sour keys and we have class store once a month.  Other than that, I would like candy to be eaten at home.  Thanks for your understanding.

Orange Shirt Day on Wednesday, September 30th:   Please make sure your student is wearing an orange shirt in this day to acknowledge the treatment of Indigenous people in Residential Schools in Canada. Wearing orange shows we acknowledge this past wrong and move forward in reconciliation.

Upcoming Dates:

Sept. 30 – Orange Shirt Day

Oct. 2 – Knights Day

Oct. 9 – Knights Day

Oct. 12 – Thanksgiving

Oct. 16 – Knights Day

Oct. 23 – PD Day

October 26th – Pumpkin Math

Oct. 30 – Knights Day

Here are a few photos of chapel and class economy & store for you to enjoy…