Brrrr…It’s Cold Outside…

The weather seems to have turned cold this week…please send your child with a warm winter coat as well as toques and gloves.  We will not be staying indoors on chilly days like today!

Reminders:

• Knight’s Day tomorrow!
  • No spelling this week.
  • Vancouver Symphony Orchestra field trip for grade six – Thursday, November 21st.  Permission slips coming home today.
  • Skating on Friday, November 22nd – permission slips coming home today.

Have a great day!

Upcoming Dates

Here are some upcoming dates and events to be aware of:

November 7th – Remembrance Day Service at 2:00.  Students wear full dress uniform tomorrow.

November 13th – Knight’s Day

November 18th – Crazy Hat Day

November 28th – Half Day with noon dismissal

December 5 & 6 – Drama Department Production of Tom Sawyer.  Tickets can be purchased at the office.  $10 for adults and $5 for students and seniors.

Weekly Lunches:  We have some options for hot lunches.  Tuesdays will continue to be pizza day.   On Thursdays there will be a rice bowl or sushi lunch and once a month we will have a hot dog and french fry lunch.  The sushi/rice bowl and hot dog/french fry lunches need to be pre-ordered and the order forms will be available at the office.  Our first date for the hot dog lunch is November 21st.  

Reading Recommendations

It’s hard to believe, but Christmas is right around the corner.  As you are thinking about gift ideas for your kids, nieces, nephews, etc, consider picking up some entertaining literature for them.  In fact, you may even enjoy reading a lot of these titles yourself!  Please note, I have not read all of these titles and so please use your discretion regarding the content.  I have loosely organized them according to reading level.

Grade 4

The Year of Billy Miller by Kevin Henkes (realistic, funny, boy, school, family, friends)

Stone Fox by John Reynolds Gardiner (boy tries to win dogsled race to save family farm)

The Chocolate Touch by Patrick Skeen Calling (everything a boy touches turns to chocolate)

The Year of the Dog by Grace Lin (family, school, immigration)

The World According to Humphrey by Betty G Birney (class pet guinea pig tells the story)

Waiting for the Magic by Patricia McLachlan (family struggling with loss adopts 4 dogs and cats from a shelter. Brother and sister discover that they can hear the animals communicating.)

Grade 5

The Dragon’s Egg by Alison Baird (girl has pet dragon, bullying)

The Breadwinner by Doborah Ellis (challenges facing young girl in war-torn Afghanistan)

The Boy on the Porch by Sharon Creech (couple finds a gifted boy on their porch)

Escape from Mr. Lemoncello’s Library by Chris Grabenstein (night at museum, Chocolate Factory)

Number the Stars by Lois Lowry (Nazi Germany)

Grade 6

14th Goldfish by Jennifer Holm

The False Prince by Jennifer Neilson (medieval adventure)

Hatchet by Gary Paulsen (boy survives alone after a plane crash)

Rules by Cynthia Lord (girl makes rules for her autistic brother)

Spelling Lists

Here are the spelling lists for this week.  I will also put them onto spelling city so the students can practice their words.  Just follow the link on our main page and it will take you to this weeks words.

List 1:  Q1

claim, measure, represent, position, suppose, arrange, similar, continue, appoint, touch, action, importance, justice, section, connect, connection, field, direction, term, veil

List 2:  therefore, wisdom, peace, abundance, too, quarrel, handkerchief, ceiling, rein, neither, further, teeth, piece, steak, often, morsel, oxygen, carriage, sauce, witness

Simply The Best!

Yes, this class IS THE BEST!  The completely surprised me this morning with a 40th birthday party!  I came into the classroom at the morning bell – and my room was completely empty!  Mr. Morris came up to me and said that a meeting had been called with the whole class due to some issues!  I couldn’t believe it!  So up we went to Mrs. Mackie’s room…and it was then that I realized that the class had TOTALLY surprised me with a party!  There was food, drinks, a beautiful skit, a great card and some very thoughtful gifts!  This is my 11th classroom and the first surprise birthday party every to be put on in my honour…maybe they knew that I needed something to make me feel better about turning the big 4-0!!  So, grade 5/6, I want to say a HUGE thank you!  Your thoughtfulness and generosity today was amazing and I feel very blessed to be your teacher!

Skating Tomorrow

Just a reminder that our class will be heading to Prospera Center tomorrow, leaving at 12:30 and returning around 2:30.  Students do not need to wear their uniforms but must bring a helmet and skates (unless renting, of course).

See you tomorrow!
Mrs. Goosen

Science Quiz, Skating & Remembrance Day

Skating – We will be going to Prospera Center on Monday, November 3rd.  Please remember to return permission forms tomorrow and bring a helmet on Monday!

Science Quiz – The grade six students received a Science study guide today and will be having a quiz on Tuesday, November 3rd.

Remembrance Day – On Friday, November 7th we will be having a Remembrance Day service.  The intermediate department will be reciting In Flander’s Field and our class will be responsible for verse two.  Students will memorize verse two in place of their  Bible Memory Verse next week.  I have written the verse below and it will also be under the Memory Verse section of the blog.

We are the dead: Short days ago,
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved: and now we lie
In Flanders fields!

Spelling & Upcoming Events

We had a fun and busy day today!  Pumpkin Math was a blast and I think my favourite part was the impromptu pumpkin bowling competition we had at the end!  It was also Cell Project Day – great work!  The projects looked fabulous…and some tasted pretty great too!   I will try and post pictures tonight or tomorrow!

We have some upcoming events this week:

Tuesday, October 28th – Thursday, October 30th is the Scholastic Book Fair.  This will be located in the foyer of the school and will be open both before and after school.

This Wednesday, October 29th the grades 4-6’s will be having Fall Fun Day!  Students do not need to wear their uniforms on this day and can dress in fall colours.  We will have some fun centers for the classes to rotate through in the afternoon.

Below are the spelling lists:

List 1:  family, careful, beauty, loss, wrong, engine, beneath, though, cabbage, awe, vacation, degree, beautiful, enjoy, voyage, carries, cities, empire, industry, awful  BONUS WORD:  hypothesis

List 2: elephant, sergeant, companion, affliction, audience, musician, niece, bachelor, college, society, frighten, acknowledge, purchase, accuse, pressure, arrive, affect, listen, investigate, supply  BONUS WORD:  hypothesis

I will put these words on spelling city asap.

Thanks and have a great week!
Pam

Celebrating the United Nations

UN emblem

Tomorrow is the birthday for the United Nations so today we spent the day celebrating.  It was a great day spent learning about why the UN was created and what its purpose is in the world today.  We played a continent game, where it became very evident on who knows their world geography – yikes!  We’ll be playing that game again in the future! We watched a few videos about the United Nations (see below for the links) and had some great discussions about the rights of citizens around the world.   Mrs. D

United Nations – What is it? video

A Day in the Life of the Secretary General

‘I was Here’ music Video

2014-10-22 20.32.32 2014-10-23 10.57.00 2014-10-23 10.57.42

Pumpkin Math & Cell Projects – Monday, October 27th

Pumpkin Math

In the morning the Grade 5/6  students will be joining up with the Grade 4’s from Mr. Hancock’s class to have some fun with pumpkins and Math. We will be measuring pumpkins, weighing pumpkins, counting seeds, estimating and graphing everything there is to know about pumpkins. It will be a fantastic morning of fun and mess!  Students will wear their uniforms on Monday but will need to bring a large shirt to wear over their uniforms as it’s going to get messy!  Students may also bring some kitchen gloves  if the squishy insides of the pumpkin gross them out!  They will need to get their hands in the pumpkin ‘goop’ so please bring kitchen gloves if needed.  We are also in need of about 6-7 pumpkins for Monday.  If you are able to provide a pumpkin (it won’t be returned) then please let Mrs. Derksen know by THURSDAY of this week.  And, lastly, I would love a couple of parents to help out on Monday morning.  We will be starting right after morning devotions and be done by noon.  If you could let Mrs. Derksen know by Thursday that would be great!

Cell Projects

Just a reminder that these projects are due next Monday, the same day as our Pumpkin Math!  It will prove to be an exciting day in the grade 5/6 classroom.  It is my hope to set our projects up in the Dragon’s Den from 1:15 – 2:00…please feel free to come by and see these amazing cell projects!

Empty 2 Litre Bottles

The grade 5’s are making models of the respiratory system next Tuesday and we are in need of three more empty 2 litre bottles.  If you have any sitting in your recycling bins, please send them to us!

1 68 69 70 71 72 91